Extension Mathematics for Higher Achieving Students Book 1 2e
Extension Mathematics for Higher achieving students is for students who need and enjoy the challenge of working with material which encourages the application of higher order thinking.
The problems and exercises in these books encourage students
- to think creatively
- to be flexible in the use of new ideas and approaches
- to be fluent in the creation of an array of ideas
- to elaborate on similar ideas
- to be original in thinking of new approaches or new ways of seeing problems.
The problems and tasks are based on the topic and concept areas studied in the upper middle curriculum with extra task to allow challenge, application and extension of ideas. Solving the problems requires each student to seek information beyond the classroom, modifying their thinking and being prepared to use and think of new approaches in unfamiliar situations. The tasks can be used as an addition to the teaching program where more able students can be directed to pursue challenges which require the application of a range of problem solving techniques centred on the topic being studied.
There are two broad types of task:
- topic-based: number, linear algebra and graphing, quadratic algebra and graphing, indices and logarithms, measurement, trigonometry, geometry, probability and statistics.
- general-nature: a collection of challenging questions which require the application of a range of approaches and skills in a non-routine manner.
In this series:
- Book 1 recommended for Years 7–8
- Book 2 recommended for Years 9–10
- General Algebra
- Linear Algebra and Graphing
- Probability and Statistics
- Problem Solving
|Year Level||Year 7, Year 8|
|Date of Publication||2019|